Monday 27 May 2019

real analysis - Construct a merely finitely additive measure on a $sigma$-algebra

Is it possible to give an explicit construction of a set function, defined on a $\sigma$-algebra, with all the properties of a measure except that it is merely finitely additive and not countably additive?



Let me elaborate. By "explicit" I mean that the example should not appeal to non-constructive methods like the Hahn-Banach theorem or the existence of free ultrafilters. I'm aware that such examples exist, but I'm looking for something more concrete. If such constructions are not possible, I'm especially interested in understanding why that is so.



This question is similar, but, so far as I can tell, not identical to several other questions asked on this site and MO. For example, I've learned that proving the existence of the "integer lottery" on $P(\mathbb{N})$ requires the Axiom of Choice (https://mathoverflow.net/questions/95954/how-to-construct-a-continuous-finite-additive-measure-on-the-natural-numbers).




That's the sort of result I'm interested in, but it doesn't fully answer my question. My question doesn't require that the $\sigma$-algebra in question be $P(\Omega)$, and I'm interested in general $\Omega$, not just $\Omega = \mathbb{N}$.

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...