Friday 31 May 2019

linear algebra - Function that satisfies $f(x+ y) = f(x) + f(y)$ but not $f(cx)=cf(x)$




Is there a function from $ \Bbb R^3 \to \Bbb R^3$ such that $$f(x + y) = f(x) + f(y)$$ but not $$f(cx) = cf(x)$$ for some scalar $c$?



Is there one such function even in one dimension? I so, what is it? If not, why?




I came across a function from $\Bbb R^3$ to $\Bbb R^3$ such that $$f(cx) = cf(x)$$ but not $$f(x + y) = f(x) + f(y)$$, and I was wondering whether there is one with converse.



Although there is another post titled Overview of the Basic Facts of Cauchy valued functions, I do not understand it. If someone can explain in simplest terms the function that satisfy my question and why, that would be great.


Answer



Take a $\mathbb Q$-linear function $f:\mathbb R\rightarrow \mathbb R$ that is not $\mathbb R$-linear and consider the function $g(x,y,z)=(f(x),f(y),f(z))$.



To see such a function $f$ exists notice that $\{1,\sqrt{2}\}$ is linearly independent over $\mathbb Q$, so there is a $\mathbb Q$-linear function $f$ that sends $1$ to $1$ and $\sqrt{2}$ to $1$. So clearly $f$ is not $\mathbb R$-linear. ( Zorn's lemma is used for this).


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...