Tuesday 4 December 2012

How can I find a non-prime number whose square root is irrational?



I already know that when $n$ is prime, that $\sqrt n$ is irrational (this is true in every case), but I know that this isn't only true for primes, $\sqrt 8$ is irrational, but it's not a prime number.



So how could I find numbers like these, where it's square root is an irrational number, but yet it's not prime?


Answer




Hint: if $n \in \mathbb{N}$ is not a perfect square, then $\sqrt{n}$ is irrational.



[ EDIT ]    Examples of such non-prime $n$ whose square root is irrational:


  • any non-prime integer whose prime factorization includes a prime at an odd power;


  • $m!\;$ for any $\;m \gt 2$;


  • $m^2 - 1\;$ for any $\;m \gt 2$.



No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...