Tuesday 18 December 2012

Is the notation $[x,to[$ common?



I recently started reading Topology and Groupoids by Ronald Brown and this notation came up. The notations is $$[x,\to[ \; =\{z \mid x \leq z\}$$ and a similar notation for other type of intervals. I have never seen this before, and I was baffled wondering if this was a funny $\LaTeX$ macro mistake where "2" was used as "\to" in some situations. I am wondering if it is sort of common? Is it common in some area of mathematics? If it is not clear, I am asking about using the "$\to$" arrow not really the brackets (although I rarely see the bracket notation).


Answer



It is not uncommon.




When discussing (partially) ordered sets, people sometimes use $\leftarrow$ and $\to$ rather than $-\infty$ and $+\infty$, so the interval $(\leftarrow,b)$ means the same as what other times one writes as $(−∞,b)$, that is, $\{z\mid z

Here are some examples: 1, 2.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...