Saturday 15 December 2012

real analysis - How can I prove this sequence of functions converges pointwise but not uniformly to a function?



Let $f_k(x)= \tan^{-1}(kx)$ and $f(x)=\left\{\begin{array}{rcl} \pi/2 & \mbox{if} & 0< x \leq 1, \\ 0 & \mbox{if} & x = 0. \end{array} \right.$



How can I prove that $\{f_k\}$ converges pointwise but not uniformly to $f$, wuthout using the fact that the uniform limit of a sequence of continuous functions is continuous?




I could use the theorem that says that the convergence is uniform if and only if $\lim_{k \to \infty} \sup_{x \in I}|f_k(x)-f(x)|=0$, but I don't know how to apply it.



Any hint or ideas will be very appreciated. Thank you very much.


Answer



Hint: Fix $k$. What is



$$\lim_{x \to 0^+} |f_k(x)-f(x)| \,?$$



Can you deduce from here that for all $k$ we have




$$\sup_{x \in I}|f_k(x)-f(x)| \geq \frac{\pi}{4} ?$$



Can you see how this shows that that limit cannot be 0?


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...