Tuesday 26 March 2013

calculus - Finding the surface area of a solid of revolution



I'm given the function



$x=\frac{1}{15}(y^2+10)^{3/2}$



and I need to find the area of the solid of revolution obtained by rotating the function from $y=2$ to $y=4$ about the $x-axis$.




I've tried applying the formula:



$2\pi\int_{a}^{b}f(x)\sqrt{1+(f'(x))^2}dx$



where $f(x)=\sqrt{(15x)^{2/3}-10}$ and



$f'(x)=\frac{15^{2/3}}{3x^{1/3}\sqrt{{(15x)}^{2/3}-10}}$



but it still isn't the correct answer. Is there any way to do the problem without having to find $f(x)$ but by just working with $f(y)$?




Thanks for the help


Answer



You calculated wrongly $f(x)$: the exact value is
$$f(x)=\sqrt{(15x)^{3/2}-10}$$
But why not use the formula
$$A=2\pi\int_2^4y\sqrt{g'^{\,2}(y)+1}\,\mathrm dy$$
since $x$ is given as a function $g(y)$ ?


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...