Friday 22 March 2013

Negative Algebra Formula



Quite simple for you Math Genius but I'm struggling to understand the following equation. (I've only just started an introductory course in Mathematics and I'm keen to learn) :)




I'm getting 2 answers



On my scientific Calculator $= 5.4$



On this website $= -5985$



My formula below. First I would like to know which one is correct or an explanation as to why they can both be correct. if someone could then break it down for me so I can understand where I have gone wrong.



$$10+6\cdot-\frac{8}{2(-25)}\cdot(-10)+5=$$



Answer



To be honest the mistake seems to lie somewhere within the interpretation of your given parenthesis hence it is not clear at all. The website you are refering to interprets your input as



$$10+6\cdot-\frac{8}{2}(-25)\cdot(-10)+5=-5985$$



where on the other hand you are asking for the evaluation of



$$10+6\cdot-\frac{8}{2(-25)}\cdot(-10)+5=5.4$$



The simple mistake is that the calculator you used online did not know that the $(-25)$ belongs to the denominator. Therefore use more parenthesis to make sure what you want to be computed.



No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...