Monday 25 March 2013

deriving an identity for complex numbers



For future reference the following question is from Complex Variables and Applications by Brown and Churchill, 8th Edition.



Question #6 on Page 8 concerning the derivation of an identity.



Let $z = (x, y)$ the ordered pair in which $x$ represents a pure real and $y$ represents a pure imaginary number. From the relations:



$(1) \frac{z_1}{z_2} = z_1 \frac{1}{z_2}$




$(2) \frac{1}{z_1}\frac{1}{z_2} = \frac{1}{z_1z_2}$



show that $\big(\frac{z_1}{z_3}\big)\big(\frac{z_2}{z_4}\big) = \frac{z_1z_2}{z_3z_4}$



I'm a little bit stuck, or maybe I'm missing something. But this is how I'm approaching it.



Expanding the r.h.s.:



we have:




$z_1z_2(z_3)^{-1}(z_4)^{-1} $



$z_1z_2 (z_3z_4)^{-1}$



$z_1z_2 \frac{1}{z_3z_4}$



$ \frac{z_1z_2}{z_3z_4}$, by relation 1.



What do you think? Did I get it right?



Answer



Assuming that it has been proved that multiplication of complex numbers are commutative (i.e. $u_1u_2=u_2u_1$ for any two complex numbers $u_1,u_2$), your proof looks good.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...