Friday 15 March 2013

linear algebra - Find the cardinality of the set of permutation matrices.



Let $S$ be the set of all $3\times3$ matrices $A$ with integer entries such that $AA^t=I$, where $A^t$ is the transpose of $A$. Then $|S|=?$





  1. $12$

  2. $24$

  3. $48$

  4. $60$



I tried to find the structure of such matrices from an arbitrary matrix and using $AA^t=I$ and found that these are permutation matrices. So how to calculate the cardinality of set of permutation matrices? Isn't it $n!$? But that does not give me anything to relate with the options given. Any hint or help please.


Answer



Certainly permutation matrices satisfy $AA^\top=I$, but there are others! For example,
$$

A=
\left[\begin{array}{rrr}
-1 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 1 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 1
\end{array}\right]
$$



The condition $AA^\top=I$ forces the columns of $A$ to be orthonormal. Since $A$ is integral, it follows that each column of $A$ has exactly one nonzero entry, which must be $\pm1$. Moreover, the corresponding entries in the other rows must be zero, to ensure orthogonality.




There are three places to place $\pm1$ in the first column, two places in the second, and one in the third. Hence the number of integral matrices satisfying $AA^\top=I$ is
$$
(2\cdot 3)(2\cdot 2)(2\cdot 1)=48
$$


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...