Monday 11 March 2013

linear algebra - Prove $det(A - nI_n) = 0$.



Problem: Prove that $\det(A - n I_n) = 0$ when $A$ is the $(n \times n)$-matrix with all components equal to $1$.



Attempt at solution: I tried to use Laplace expansion but that didn't work. I see the matrix will be of the form \begin{align*} \begin{pmatrix} 1-n & 1 & \cdots & 1 \\ 1 & 1-n & \cdots & 1 \\ \vdots \\ 1 & 1 & \cdots & 1-n \end{pmatrix} \end{align*} I want to somehow get two equal rows or columns here, or a row/column of zero using elementary operations. But I don't see what I should do?


Answer



Hint: Add all other rows to the first row. What row you'll obtain after that?



No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...