Wednesday 22 January 2014

functions - Is there a bijection between $(0,1)$ and $mathbb{R}$ that preserves rationality?



While reading about cardinality, I've seen a few examples of bijections from the open unit interval $(0,1)$ to $\mathbb{R}$, one example being the function defined by $f(x)=\tan\pi(2x-1)/2$. Another geometric example is found by bending the unit interval into a semicircle with center $P$, and mapping a point to its projection from $P$ onto the real line.



My question is, is there a bijection between the open unit interval $(0,1)$ and $\mathbb{R}$ such that rationals are mapped to rationals and irrationals are mapped to irrationals?



I played around with mappings similar to $x\mapsto 1/x$, but found that this never really had the right range, and using google didn't yield any examples, at least none which I could find. Any examples would be most appreciated, thanks!


Answer




$(1/x)-2$ on $(0,1/2]$ and $2-(1/(x-1/2))$ on $(1/2,1)$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...