Wednesday 15 January 2014

number theory - why $sum_{h=0}^{infty}{dfrac{h}{2^h}} = 2$




There is a summation in analysis of an algorithm which is the following:




$$\sum_{h=0}^{\infty}{\dfrac{h}{2^h}} = \dfrac{1/2}{(1-1/2)^2} = 2$$



But I don't can't solve this. I would be appreciated if anyone can solve this.



thanks.


Answer



Not sure what you need to solve (there doesn't seem to be an unknown in your expression), but assuming you want to derive the result:



$\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}x^n=\frac{1}{1-x}$ for $|x|<1$. Differentiate both sides to get $\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}nx^{n-1}=\frac{1}{(1-x)^2}$. Multiply both sides by $x$ to finally get:




$\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}nx^n=\frac{x}{(1-x)^2}$


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...