Sunday 26 February 2017

combinatorics - Induction proof of $sum_{k=1}^{n} binom n k = 2^n -1 $




Prove by induction: $$\sum_{k=1}^{n} \binom n k = 2^n -1 $$ for all $n\in \mathbb{N}$.





Today I wrote calculus exam, I had this problem given.



I have the feeling that I will get $0$ points for my solution, because I did this:



Base Case: $n=1$
$$\sum_{k=1}^{1} \binom 1 1 = 1 = 2^1 -1 .$$



Induction Hypothesis: for all $n \in \mathbb{N}$:
$$\sum_{k=1}^{n} \binom n k = 2^n -1 $$



Induction Step: $n \rightarrow n+1$
$$\sum_{k=1}^{n+1} \binom {n+1} {k} = \sum_{k=1}^{n} \binom {n+1} {k} + \binom{n+1}{n+1} = 2^{n+1} -1$$




Please show me my mistake because next time is my last chance in this class.


Answer



Your first mistake is that you stated the induction hypothesis incorrectly: it should be simply that



$$\sum_{k=1}^n\binom{n}k=2^n-1\;.\tag{1}$$



What you gave as induction hypothesis is actually the theorem that you’re trying to prove!



Now, assuming $(1)$ you want to prove that $$\sum_{k=1}^{n+1}\binom{n+1}k=2^{n+1}-1\;.$$




This is an occasion when it’s not a good idea to split off the last term. Instead, use the Pascal’s triangle identity for binomial coefficients:



$$\begin{align*}
\sum_{k=1}^{n+1}\binom{n+1}k&=\sum_{k=1}^{n+1}\left(\binom{n}k+\binom{n}{k-1}\right)\\\\
&=\sum_{k=1}^{n+1}\binom{n}k+\sum_{k=1}^{n+1}\binom{n}{k-1}\\\\
&\overset{*}=\sum_{k=1}^n\binom{n}k+\sum_{k=0}^n\binom{n}k\\\\
&=\left(2^n-1\right)+\binom{n}0+\sum_{k=1}^n\binom{n}k\\\\
&=2^n-1+1+2^n-1\\\\
&=2\cdot2^n-1\\\\

&=2^{n+1}-1\;.
\end{align*}$$



At the starred step I used the fact that $\binom{n}{n+1}=0$ to drop the last term of the first summation, and I did an index shift, replacing $k-1$ by $k$, in the second summation.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...