Is there a simpler expression for the following sum? $(n\in\mathbb{N})$
$$S_n =\binom{n}{0}\binom{n}{1} + \binom{n}{1}\binom{n}{2} + \dots + \binom{n}{n-1}\binom{n}{n}$$
It seems like $S_n = \binom{2n}{n-1}$, however I have no clue as to how I can prove that relation. I also tried re-writing the sum as
$$S_n = \binom{n}{0}\binom{n}{n-1} + \binom{n}{1}\binom{n}{n-2} + \dots + \binom{n}{n-1}\binom{n}{0} = \sum^{n-1}_{j=0}\binom{n}{j}\binom{n}{n-j-1}$$
Which resembles a special case of Vandemonde's Identity. Is there a connection between the two?
Friday, 24 February 2017
sequences and series - Evaluating $sum^{n-1}_{j=0} binom{n}{j}binom{n}{j+1}$
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$
How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...
-
How can one proof the equality $$\sum\limits_{v=0}^k \frac{k^v}{v!}=\sum\limits_{v=0}^k \frac{v^v (k-v)^{k-v}}{v!(k-v)!}$$ for $k\in\mathbb{...
-
How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...
-
If you think about the limit definition of the derivative, $dy$ represents $$\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\dfrac {f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}$$, and $dx...
No comments:
Post a Comment