Friday 10 February 2017

modular arithmetic - Fermat's Little Theorem and Prime Moduli



I am given two distinct primes $p$ and $q$, where $$m = p*q$$ Also,



$$ \begin{cases} r\equiv 1\mod p-1\\ r\equiv 1\mod q-1 \end{cases} $$



I have to show that given an integer a, show that $$a^r \equiv a \mod (m)$$




I'm not sure how to get started. I know I can tie this in to Fermat's Little Theorem and I've found something here CRT + Fermat's Little Theorem that was somewhat related to my question but I had a hard time seeing where to go. Just need a little hint to get me in the right direction! Thanks.


Answer



Hint #1. It's enough to show that $a^r\equiv a\pmod p$ and $a^r\equiv a\pmod q$; since $p$ and $q$ are relatively prime, it will follow from that that $a^r\equiv a\pmod{pq}$. By symmetry, it's enough to show that $a^r\equiv a\pmod p$.



Hint #2. What does $\ r\equiv1\pmod{p-1}\ \ $ mean? It means that $r-1$ is divisible by $p-1$; in other words, that $\ r=1+(p-1)m\ \ $ for some integer $m$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...