Sunday 19 February 2017

sequences and series - How to find the value of $sum_{n=2}^{infty}frac{3n-5}{n(n^2-1)}$



How can I calculate the sum of this series :



$$\sum_{n=2}^{\infty}\frac{3n-5}{n(n^2-1)}=?$$




I've tried to divide in factors $\frac{3n-5}{n(n^2-1)}$ and obtained $\frac{-5}{n(n-1)}+\frac{8}{(n-1)(n+1)}$. But when I try to expand the series I cannot make any simplifications. Can you please help me ? I've tried to divide in factors in different ways, but also got nothing. Thanks!


Answer



You can split it one step further as follows:
$$
\frac{1}{n(n-1)}=\frac{1}{n-1}-\frac{1}{n},\qquad \frac{1}{(n-1)(n+1)}=\frac{1}{2}\left[\frac{1}{n-1}-\frac{1}{n+1}\right]
$$
Now both series telescope.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...