Sunday 19 February 2017

elementary number theory - Given $gcd(d,d')=1, dmid n, d' mid n$, show that $dd' mid n$



Given $d,d'$ are in $\mathbb{Z} > 1$, and $\gcd(d,d')=1$, and $d \mid n$ and $d'\mid n$,



Show that $d\cdot d'\mid n$.



I pretty much have it but I think it could be made more clear. I have:



$d \mid n$ so $n=q*d$ and $d'\mid n$ so $n=q'*d'$




So $q*d*q'*d'=n^2$



So $(q*d*q'*d')/n=n$



So $(q*q'/n)*(d*d')=n$ ... so the only thing left to do is show that $q*q'/n$ must be an integer.



I think it has something to do with $\gcd(d,d')=1$ because $d$ and $d'$ cannot both divide an integer $n$ unless $n$ is a multiple of $d*d'$, but I'm not sure how to show this elegantly.



Thanks!



Answer



Hint: since $\gcd(d, d') = 1$, there exist $\alpha, \beta \in \mathbb{Z}$ such that $\alpha d + \beta d' =1$. Now multiply both sides by $n$, and use the fact that $d \mid n$ and $d' \mid n$. Feel free to comment if you need further clarification!


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...