Wednesday 30 October 2019

complex numbers - $1/sqrt{-a/b} = i sqrt{b/a}$ or $-isqrt{b/a}$?



In a book I am reading, I'm following an equation that has the line:



$$ \frac{1}{\sqrt{-\frac{a}{b}}} = \sqrt{\frac{-b}{a}} = i\sqrt{\frac{b}{a}}$$



but while I was working ahead I did:




$$ \frac{1}{\sqrt{ -\frac{a}{b}}} = \frac{1}{i \sqrt{\frac{a}{b}}} = -i\sqrt{\frac{b}{a}}$$



Which is correct? Both?


Answer



The second one is correct. Implicit in the assumptions in the first is using an identity like



$$\frac{1}{\sqrt x} = \sqrt{\frac 1 x}.$$



Although this is correct for $x \in \mathbb{R}^+$, it does not extend to negative or to complex numbers. There are quite a few false proofs based on the premise that $\sqrt{ab} = \sqrt a \cdot \sqrt{b}$ holds unconditionally!



No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...