Monday 7 October 2019

group theory - Prove that $defAut{operatorname{Aut}}Aut(mathbf{Z_{n}})simeq mathbf{Z_{n}^{*}}$



I am writing another exam in Algebra this week and this time the main topic is automorphism. I was again going through the example exercises and exams from previous years and this problem is giving me a hard time to understand:




Prove that for group of automorphisms $\def\Aut{\operatorname{Aut}}\Aut(\mathbf{Z_{n}})$ holds $\Aut(\mathbf{Z_{n}})\simeq \mathbf{Z_{n}^{*}}$ where $\mathbf{Z_{n}^{*}}=\{1 \leq k \leq q | \gcd(k,n)=1\} $.



My main issue with this problem is that it seems very "general" and I don't really know how to address it with any of the techniques we have used.



Could you please show me some ways this could be approached? I appreciate your help.


Answer



Observe that a homomorphism is determined by the image of $\overline{1}$.



Now consider which restrictions you get from the fact that the homomorphism is injective.



No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...