Wednesday 30 October 2019

real analysis - Proving that a point on the boundary of a closed ball in a metric space cannot be interior.



The idea of this proof is quite clear but I'm having some trouble making it rigorous. Suppose we have a metric space $(X, d)$ and a closed ball $U := \{x \in X : d(x, a) \leq t\}$ for some fixed $a$ and $t$. I want to prove that a point on the boundary of this ball is not an interior point. Here is my "proof":



Let $x$ satisfy $d(x, a) = t$ (i.e. let $x$ be a boundary point). Suppose also that $x$ is interior. Then $\exists \, r > 0$ such that the open ball $D_r(x)$ is contained within $U$. This an immediate contradiction, because some points in this open ball are outside $U$.




My problem is with the very last statement, which relies entirely upon geometrical intuition and is not very rigorous. I suppose I could try a bit harder with this idea: along the line connecting $a$ and $x$, we can go a bit further along the line still inside the $r$ -ball and find a point outside of $U$. But this still doesn't sound very rigorous, with things like lines only really applying to Euclidean space.



How can I make this rigorous?



EDIT: Thanks for the answers and comments, I now realize that this cannot be proven at all.


Answer



In a general metric space the boundary of the set $U = \{x : d(x,a) \le t\}$ is not the set $\{x : d(x,a) = t\}$.



The (usual) definition of boundary point of a set implies that the boundary and interior of a set are disjoint.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...