Saturday 26 October 2019

factorial - Stirling's Formula normalization



An obvious way to get estimates on $n!$ is to compare $\sum\log k$ to $\int\log t$. If one could get Stirling's formula this way that would strike me as the "right" proof, because it would be clear why it works.




This morning I came much closer to this than I have in the past; in fact fairly straightforward comparisons of sums to integrals show that $$n!\sim c\sqrt n\left(\frac ne\right)^n.$$



Question: I wonder if there's some cheap trick to show that if $n!\sim c\sqrt n(n/e)^n$ then $c=\sqrt{2\pi}$.


Answer



You could calculate the normalization for the Gaussian approximation to the binomial distribution.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...