Tuesday 1 October 2019

real analysis - Let $q in mathbb{Q}$ and $x in mathbb{R}-mathbb{Q}$. Prove that $q+x in mathbb{R}-mathbb{Q}$



This is a homework problem for my Real Analysis course and I am having trouble getting started in the right direction. I understand the definition of the set of rational numbers and how $\mathbb{R}-\mathbb{Q}$ is the set of irrational numbers, but I am having trouble making the leap to where q+x is an element of the set of irrational numbers. Is there something that I'm missing?



I started with $a,b∈Q$ where either $a=0$ or $b=0$ which then gives us either $a+b=a$ or $a+b=b$. We know from this that $a+b∈Q$. It's the next part I'm struggling with.


Answer



You know $q$ is rational, so you can write $q = \dfrac{a}{b}$ for some integers $a,b$ where $b \neq 0$.



You also know that $x$ is irrational, so you cannot write $x$ as the ratio of two integers.




You need to show that $q+x$ is irrational. Suppose $q+x$ is rational, for the sake of contradiction.



Then, you can write $q+x = \dfrac{c}{d}$ for some integers $c,d$ where $d \neq 0$.



What does this tell you about $x$?


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...