Sunday 27 October 2019

modular arithmetic - Finding the least significant digit of a large exponential.



I am trying to find the least significant digit of $17^{{17}^{17}}$. I know that I need to use to use the properties of modular arithmetic and mod base 10, but I am not sure how to go about it.



Please provide some hints/first few steps to help me get started.



Answer



Start off by looking at $17^n$ mod 10. (In your case, n will end up being $17^{17}$, but that's way too big to calculate yet.)



$17^0$ ends in a $1$, $17^1$ ends in a $7$, $17^2$ is congruent to $7 \times 7$ so it ends in a $9$, $17^3$ likewise is congruent to $9 \times 7$ so it ends in a $3$, and finally $17^4$ is congruent to $3 \times 7$ so it ends in a $1$.



Since $17^0$ and $17^4$ are congruent mod 10, it follows that $17^n$ mod 10 will repeat every time the exponent $n$ goes up by 4.



Therefore, to solve your problem, you now need to calculate the exponent $17^{17}$ mod 4. Then you can use that along with the pattern I just described to get the final answer. Since this is homework, I'll let you calculate $17^{17}$ mod 4 yourself... hint, use the same idea that I used above!


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...