Wednesday 21 May 2014

calculus - prove that a function whose derivative is bounded also bounded



I got this problem:



Let $f$ be a differentiable function on an open interval $(a,b)$ such that $f'$ (the derivative of $f$) is bounded on $(a,b)$ (meaning there exist $0

I tried to prove it but wasn't able to proceed.

Thanks.


Answer



Fix a point $x_0\in (a,b).$ Assume $x\in(x_0,b).$ By using the Lagrange's theorem there exists $c\in(x_0,x)$ such that $f(x)-f(x_0)=f'(c)(x-x_0).$ Thus



$$|f(x)|=|f(x_0)+f'(c)(x-x_0)|\leq |f(x_0)|+|f'(c)||(x-x_0)|\leq |f(x_0)|+M(b-a).$$ Proceeding in the same way you get the bound for $x\in(a,x_0).$ Thus we have shown that the function is bounded.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...