Monday 12 May 2014

real analysis - Do absolutely continuous functions have bounded derivative?



I am an outsider for this field of mathematical analysis. But to analyse a problem of Control Systems, which is my area of interest, I need to know this.



I learned that absolutely continuous functions are also differentiable almost everywhere. On the other hand, Lipschitz continuity ensures bounded derivative of the function a.e. I am wondering whether there is any link between the derivative being bounded and the function being absolutely continuous. Or, is there any sufficient condition to be imposed over the absolute continuity to ascertain that the derivative of the function will be bounded?



Answer



If a continuously differentiable function has a bounded derivative, then it is absolutely continuous. The inverse is not true, as shown by the function $f(x)=\sqrt{x}$ on $[0,\infty)$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...