Saturday 24 May 2014

Lebesgue outer measure with open balls

I'm not sure if this has been asked before; if so please redirect me to the appropriate question.



The Lebesgue outer measure of $A \subseteq \mathbb{R}^n$ is defined as $$\mu_*(A) = \inf\left\{ \sum_{i} |R_{i}|: A \subseteq \bigcup_{i \in I} |R_i|, I \,\,\mbox{countable} \right\}$$ where the infimum is taken over open boxes $R_i$.



Now suppose we define a new measure in this exact same manner, except we take the infimum over open balls, defining their volume using the usual formula for the volume of an $n$-sphere. Why is this equivalent to the above definition?



It seems somewhat related to the Vitali covering lemma.

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...