Monday 26 May 2014

multivariable calculus - Trying to evaluate this triple integral?

So I'm trying to evaluate the triple integral $$\displaystyle \iiint \limits_{R} \displaystyle \frac{1}{((x-a)^2+y^2+z^2)^{1/2}} \mathrm dV$$ for $a>1$ over the solid sphere $0 \leq x^2 + y^2 + z^2 \leq 1$.



Apparently, there's an interpretation that I should be able to draw from this to. Not too sure what it is.




So the first thing that came to mind when I saw the integral was to apply spherical coordinates, but this doesn't make the denominator of the integrand any less messy.



Using spherical coordinates, the integrand becomes



$$\displaystyle \iiint \limits_{R} \displaystyle\frac{1}{(\rho^2-2a\rho\sin\phi\cos\theta+a^2)^{1/2} } \rho^2\sin\phi \space\mathrm d\rho\mathrm d\phi\mathrm d\theta$$ (I haven't bothered to add the bounds yet), which doesn't look that much more friendly.



Any support for this question would be appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...