Saturday 28 February 2015

linear algebra - Basic concepts about matrices and their decompositions



I am studying the basics of linear algebra and I have some questions that I can not conclude them by my own.




Let $A \in \Bbb R^{m \times n} $




  • $A$ can always be expressed as a LU decomposition?

  • $A$ can always be expressed in the reduced echelon form?

  • $A$ can be expressed as a QR decomposition?


Answer





  • First one: by definition a triangular matrix is square (wait, that sounds funny)...so the first one is not really applicable in general to $\mathbb{R}^{m\times n}$ - it is also not true that all square matrices have a LU decomposition. For necessary and sufficient conditions see this article: http://arxiv.org/pdf/math/0506382v1.pdf

  • Yes, row equivalence is an equivalence relation, and every equivalence class contains one matrix in reduced echelon form. You can prove it by induction on $m$. As a reference you can refer to Matrices and linear transformations, theorem 1.18 [Cullen].

  • Yes, ref: Proposition 16.11 in The linear algebra a beginning graduate student ought to know [Golan]


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...