Tuesday 10 February 2015

number theory - Easy way to calculate $614^7 pmod{2609}$?



We are starting to go over Cryptography in our Number Theory class and we are doing an example of encrypting a message using something similar to RSA method.




I have I need to find what
$$614^7 \pmod{2609}$$
is and I was wondering if there are little techniques or things that I could do to compute this say just with paper, pencil, and a basic scientific calculator?



I have started by saying $614=2\cdot307$ and then seeing if I can break $614^7=2^7\cdot307^7$ into some smaller pieces, example something like $307\cdot2^3=2456\equiv -153 \pmod{2609}$ which doesn't seem that helpful, but this has been the kind of method I am attacking this problem with right now. Or is this about the only kinds of method?


Answer



You could make use of the following algorithm as explained here:



function modular_pow(base, exponent, modulus)
result := 1

while exponent > 0
if (exponent mod 2 == 1):
result := (result * base) mod modulus
exponent := exponent >> 1
base = (base * base) mod modulus
return result


Applied to your example:




base 614, exponent 7, modulus 2609


The while loop is executed three times, because 7 is binary 111.
The result is 795.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...