Sunday 15 February 2015

The Convergence of a Complex Valued Infinite Series



Check the convergence and calculate the radius of convergence of the series
$$
\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}\frac{\alpha(\alpha-1)\cdots(\alpha-n+1)}{n!}z^n,\forall\alpha\in\mathbb{C}.

$$



I tried to use the Triangle Inequalities & Comparison Test but could not get the right answer. Could somebody help me with this please?


Answer



Let



$$u_n(z)=\frac{\alpha(\alpha-1)\cdots(\alpha-n+1)}{n!}z^n$$
then by the ratio test we have



$$\left|\frac{u_{n+1}(z)}{u_n(z)}\right|=\frac{|\alpha-n|}{n+1}|z|\xrightarrow{n\to\infty}|z|$$

hence the series has the radius $R=1$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...