Monday 13 April 2015

algebra precalculus - calculate angle when delta x = 0,001



I'm busy with a homework assignment (differentiating), and I don't understand it because the book has no explanation given. In the book it says:



"Show that when your calculator is on the setting RAD(radians) and $\Delta x = 0.001$, that the angle of the slope of $O(0,0)$ to $y=\sin x$ is about 45°"



I don't know how to put my calculator on the RAD setting.




What I tried was $\tan^{-1}(\frac{\sin 0.001}{0.001})$, because $\frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x}$ is how u calculate the slope, and I thought that when u get the inverse tangent of the slope you get the angle.
I don't get 45° as my answer when I tick it into my calculator.



What am I doing wrong?



Please don't use symbols in your answers, I hardly know any.



Can someone edit my question into LaTeX?



Edit:




How come the arctan of 1 on my calculator doesn't return 45 but 0.7853...



Edit 2:



When I put it back on degrees mode and I take the arctan of 1 it returns 45. My question is solved, but can someone explain why the arctan is different in radians mode?



More importantly can someone explain why I need to put it on radians mode?


Answer



If you compute $\frac{\sin 0.001}{0.001}$ on your calculator, you should get $\approx 1$. $\arctan$ of that is $45$ degrees or $\frac{\pi}{4}$ in radians.



No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...