Wednesday 29 April 2015

real analysis - Continuity and Differentiation on a interval

$$f(x) =

\begin{cases}
x\sin(1/x), & \text{if $x$ $\ne$ $0$} \\
0, & \text{if $x$ = $0$} \\
\end{cases}$$



Is $f$ continuous on $(-1/\pi$, 1/$\pi$)?
Is $f$ differentiable on $(-1/\pi$, 1/$\pi$)?



I have a question with this problem. I know how to prove continuity on a single point, bu I'm not sure how to prove continuity for a whole interval. Also, I know there is a theorem that states that if a function is differentiable at a point, then it's continuous but I have a feeling that $f(x)$ is continuous but not differentiable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...