Wednesday 8 April 2015

calculus - Evaluate this trigonometric limit with L'hospital's rule.




I've been asked to evaluate the limit using L'hospital's rule, or any simpler more elementary method.



$$\lim\limits_{x \to 0} {{x-\sin(x)}\over{x-\tan(x)}}$$



Applying L'Hospitals rule, I get: $${1-\cos(x)}\over{1-\sec^2(x)}$$



This still yields an indeterminate form, and applying L'Hospitals rule any more times makes things get messy fast. I think I'm stuck.



Other things I have tried include writing in terms of sine and cosine, both before and after applying the rule. I can't seem to wrestle it out of an indeterminate form.




How can I proceed?


Answer



We have the following:



$$\frac{1-\cos(x)}{1-\frac{1}{\cos^{2}(x)}}=\frac{1-\cos(x)}{\frac{\cos^{2}(x)-1}{\cos^{2}(x)}}=\frac{-\cos^{2}x}{1+\cos(x)}$$



which leads to



$$\lim_{x\to 0}\frac{-\cos^{2}x}{1+\cos(x)}=\frac{-1}{2}$$




which seems to be correct, according to WolframAlpha.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...