Thursday 30 April 2015

real analysis - Let $f: Drightarrow mathbb{R}$ and assume that $x_0 in D$ is not an accumulation point of $D$. Prove that $f$ is continuous at $x_0$.

(professor hints)



A Road Map to Glory




  • Write Down the negation of the definition of an accumulation point.

  • Prove that there exists a positive real number $\delta$ for which $$(x_0-\delta, x_0+\delta) \cap D=\{x_0\}$$

  • Prove that the only number $x$ satisfying $x\in D$ and $ |x-x_0| < \delta$ is $x=x_0$.

  • Prove that for such an $x$, $|f(x)-f(x_0)|<\epsilon$ for every positive number $\epsilon$







I have trouble starting from the second bullet point. After that I wouldn't know how to connect it with the third. I wanted to ask for help regarding these two bullets. I understand that due to the negation of accumulation point there exists a finite neighborhood of $x_0$.Im not sure how this connects to the third bullet. I understand that it the $\delta$-neighborhood of $x_0$, however how is that neighborhood finite.

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...