Sunday 26 July 2015

calculus - Find $sum_{k=1}^{infty}a^k left(frac{1}{k} - frac{1}{k+1}right)$



I want to find $$\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}a^k \left(\frac{1}{k} - \frac{1}{k+1}\right)$$



I'm not sure what to do here. Without the $a^k$ term, it's a simple telescoping series, but that term changes everything. I tried writing out the first few terms but could not come up with anything that doesn't turn right back into the original series.


Answer




Hint:



Using What is the correct radius of convergence for $\ln(1+x)$?,



for $-1\le x<1,$



$$\ln(1-x)=-\sum_{k=1}^n\dfrac{x^k}k$$



Now $$a^k\left(\dfrac1k-\dfrac1{k+1}\right)=\dfrac{a^k}k-\dfrac1a\cdot\dfrac{a^{k+1}}{k+1}$$


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...