Saturday 11 July 2015

multivariable calculus - Prove the function is not differentiable at (0,0)



Take the function
$$
\begin{cases}f(x,y)=(x^2+y^2)/\sin(\sqrt{x^2+y^2}) & \text{when } 0<\lvert (x,y)\rvert<\pi\\
0 & \text{when } (x,y)=(0,0)
\end{cases}$$



I got that this function is differentiable at $(0,0)$. I calculated the partial derivatives at $(0,0)$ of which both were $0$ and trying to show the definition of differentiability is not satisfied but I keep getting that it is. Plz help.


Answer




Calculating the partial derivatives at $(0,0)$ you get a limit of the form:



$$\lim_{ h\rightarrow0}\displaystyle\frac{h}{\sin |h|}$$



which does not exist.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...