Tuesday 14 July 2015

calculus - Proving $sumlimits_n^infty frac{1}{sqrt{n(n+1)}}$ divergent without integral test




Evaluate if the following series is convergent or divergent: $\sum\limits_n^\infty\frac 1 {\sqrt{n(n+1)}}$.





I could use the integral test that would prove me this series to be divergent. However I want to prove them divergent using Weierstrass comparison theorem.



$$\sum_n^\infty \frac{1}{\sqrt{n(n+1)}}>\sum_n^\infty \frac 1 {n(n+1)} = \sum_n^\infty \frac{1}{n^2+n}=\text{?}$$



However I cannot find a series that are smaller than the last.
I tried to find any inequality to bring $n^2$ down to $n$, but I was not successful.



Question:




How can I find a smaller divergent series for $\sum_\limits{n}^{\infty}\frac{1}{{n^2+n}}$?



Thanks in advance!


Answer



Since $n(n+1)<4n^2$ for every natural $n$, you have$$(\forall n\in\mathbb{N}):\frac1{\sqrt{n(n+1)}}>\frac1{2n}.$$


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...