Sunday 12 July 2015

elementary set theory - Prove that if $A$ is an infinite set then $A times 2$ is equipotent to $A$

I want to prove that if $A$ in an infinite set, then the cartesian product of $A$ with 2 (the set whose only elements are 0 and 1) is equipotent to $A$.




I'm allowed to use Zorn's Lemma, but I can't use anything about cardinal numbers or cardinal arithmetic (since we haven't sotten to that topic in the course).



I read a proof of the fact that if $a$ is an infinite cardinal number, then $a+a=a$, which is something similar to what I want to prove.



Any suggestions will be appreciated :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...