Monday 20 July 2015

linear algebra - How to calculate this determinant?




How to calculate this determinant?




$$A=\begin{bmatrix}n-1&k&k&k&\ldots& k\\k&n-1&k&k&\ldots &k\\\ldots&\ldots&\ldots &&\ldots\\\\k&k&k&k&\ldots &n-1\\
\end{bmatrix}_{n\times n}$$




where $n,k\in \Bbb N$ are fixed.




I tried for $n=3$ and got the characteristic polynomial as $(x-2-k)^2(x-2+2k).$



How to find it for general $n\in \Bbb N$?


Answer



Here I've followed the same initial step as K. Miller. Instead of using a determinant identity I examine the eigenvalues $A$ and consider their product.



If $J$ denotes the $n\times n$ matrix of all $1$'s, then then eigenvalues of $J$ are $0$ with multiplicity $n-1$ and $n$ with multiplicity $1$. This can be seen by noting that $J$ has $n-1$ dimensional kernel and trace $n$.



Your matrix $A$ is exactly $kJ+(n-k-1)I$ where $I$ denotes the $n\times n$ identity matrix. The eigenvalues of $A$ are therefore $n-k-1$ with multiplicity $n-1$ and $nk+n-k-1$ with multiplicity $1$. The determinant of $A$ is then $(nk+n-k-1)(n-k-1)^{n-1}$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...