Friday 18 December 2015

calculus - Use Integration by parts to prove the following reduction formula...



Use integration by parts to prove the reduction formula $$\int\sin^n(x)\ dx = - {\sin^{n-1}(x)\cos(x)\over n}+{n-1\over n}\int\sin^{n-2}(x)\ dx$$



So I'm definitely on the right track because I'm very close to this result, and I also found an example of this exact question in one of my textbooks.




I made f(x)=$\sin^{n-1}(x)$ and g'(x)=$\sin(x)$. And with that I got to the point of having



$\int\sin^n(x)\ dx = - \sin^{n-1}(x)\cos(x)+(n-1)\int\cos^2(x)\sin^{n-2}(x)\ dx$



(sorry I haven't shown how I got to this stage, It's taking me way too long to write out these formulas, but the textbook done the same thing)



Then the textbook then uses the identity $\cos^2(x)=1-\sin^2(x)$.



Which would give:




$\int\sin^n(x)\ dx = - \sin^{n-1}(x)\cos(x)+(n-1)\int(1-\sin^2(x))\sin^{n-2}(x)\ dx$



And then I would have thought expanding that last integral would give



$\int\sin^n(x)\ dx = - \sin^{n-1}(x)\cos(x)+(n-1)\int\sin^{n-2}(x)-\int\sin^n(x))\\ dx$



However the textbook says you should get



$\int\sin^n(x)\ dx = - \sin^{n-1}(x)\cos(x)+(n-1)\int\sin^{n-2}(x)-(n-1)\int\sin^n(x))\\ dx$




Lots of information but essentially my question is just this, where did that extra (n-1) come from? I can't figure it out and its preventing me from finishing the question.



Thanks in advance :)


Answer



the $n-1$ term is multiplying everything against the integral on the right hand side; namely the term
\begin{equation}
(n-1)\left(\int(1-\sin^2(x))\sin^{n-2}(x)dx\right)
\end{equation}
As such once multiplied out; the $n-1$ term appears agains the $-\int \sin^{n}(x)dx$ term too.



No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...