Sunday 20 December 2015

real analysis - derivative of a function has only 2nd kind discontinuities



How would I be able to show the following claim



If $f$ is differentiable with a finite derivative in an interval, then at all points $f'(t)$ is either continuous or has a discontinuity of the second kind. By just chasing definitions, I can boil the problem down to whether or not one is able to switch the limits in the following $lim_{s\downarrow t}\lim_{c\rightarrow 0} \frac{f(s+c)-f(s)}{c}$. Any help would be highly appreciated.


Answer



Derivative of a function satisfies Intermediate Value Property so the only discontinuity a derivative can have is of the second kind.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...