Saturday 19 December 2015

Infinite Series $sum 1/(n(n+1))$



I am confused on the following series:



$\sum\limits_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n(n+1)} = 1$




My calculator reveals that the answer found when evaluating this series is 1. However, I am not sure how it arrives at this conclusion. I understand that partial fractions will be used creating the following equation. I just don't understand how to proceed with the problem.



$\sum\limits_{n=1}^{\infty}(\frac{1}{n}-\frac{1}{n+1}) = 1$


Answer



Write out a few terms of the series. You should see a pattern! But first consider the finite series:



$$\sum\limits_{n=1}^{m}\left(\frac{1}{n}-\frac{1}{n+1}\right) = 1 - \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{2} - \frac{1}{3} + \frac{1}{3} - \frac{1}{4} + \cdots + \frac{1}{m-1} - \frac{1}{m} + \frac{1}{m} - \frac{1}{m+1}.$$
This sum is telescoping, since it collapses like a telescope.




Everything is left except for the first and last term. Now what's the limit as $m\to \infty$?


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...