Monday 14 December 2015

elementary set theory - If $f$ is 1-1, prove that $f(Asetminus B) = f(A)setminus f(B)$



I'm having a tough time with this one. Here's the background:



Let $X$ and $Y$ be sets, let $f:X\rightarrow Y$ and let $A,B\subseteq X$. For this proof, we also assume that $f$ is 1-1.



I've already proven $f(A\setminus B)\supseteq f(A)\setminus f(B)$, but where should I start to prove the other way around?


Answer




To show that $f(A\setminus B) \subset f(A) \setminus f(B)$, show that each element of the first lies in $f(A)$, but not in $f(B)$. You need injectivity for this.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...