Tuesday 13 December 2016

abstract algebra - How many elements are in the quotient ring $frac{mathbb Z_3[x]}{langle 2x^3+ x+1rangle} $




How many elements are in the quotient ring $\displaystyle \frac{\mathbb Z_3[x]}{\langle 2x^3+ x+1\rangle}$ ?



I guess I should be using the division algorithm but I'm stuck on how to figure it out.


Answer



Any element of this quotient ring is of the form $a_0+a_1x+a_2x^2+\langle 2x^3+x+1\rangle $ where $a_i\in \mathbb Z_3$



Thus we have $27$ elements



Note:whenever there is a polynomial $f(x)$ of degree $\geq 3 \in \mathbb Z_3[x]$ then by division algorithm we will get two polynomials $q(x),r(x)$ such that $f(x)=(2x^3+x+1)q(x)+r(x) $ where $r(x)=0 $ or $\deg r(x)<\deg (2x^3+x+1)$ which is $2$



No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...