Saturday 17 December 2016

algebra precalculus - What makes a function not defined?



I have started studying precalculus and would then start up with calculus. While studying about functions I wondered whether this function would be defined at $a$ or not. Take a look at it. $$ f(x) = \frac{(x-a)(x-b)(x-c)...(x-n)}{(x-a)} $$




Here if we will simplify it further then the term $\left( x-a\right)$ would cancel out making the function defined at $a$ but if we would leave it as such it would be undefined at that point.



I asked this question because I found in some sources that the graph of such functions have an open dot at that point indicating it discontinuous at that point. But I couldn't explain it. Are the expressions before and after cancelling different or it's something else?



I would be highly obliged for your help and thanks ...


Answer



Consider the following functions: $$f(x) = 5$$



$$g(x) = \dfrac{5(x-2)}{(x-2)}$$




The function $g$ is not defined at $x = 2$, but agrees with $f$ at every other point.



So we would say these functions are not the same, because their domains are different.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...