Friday 16 December 2016

boolean algebra - Is writing equalities within an equation abuse of notation?



I'll occasionally write equalities within parentheses or sqrt signs to make my steps more compact.



E.g.:




$$ r = \frac{3}{4}\sqrt[4]{\frac{7}{9}\cdot\frac{16}{7}=\frac{16}{9}} = \frac{3}{4}\sqrt{\frac{4}{3}}=\sqrt{\frac{3}{4}} = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} $$



I always assumed this was pretty clear, and an acceptable (if unusual) way to use equalities.
However, I was recently told that "you can't take the root of a truth value", which is certainly true.



Is my notation confusing? Does it classify as abuse of notation?



Is the below correct?



$$

r = \left(\frac{7}{9} \cdot \frac{16}{7} = \frac{16}{9}\right) \implies r = \top
$$


Answer



Your notation is very non-standard and will be confusing to most people. Many people use curly braces to denote intermediate results:
$$
r = \frac{3}{4}\underbrace{\sqrt[4]{\frac{7}{9}\cdot\frac{16}{7}}}_{\sqrt[4]{\frac{16}{9}}} = \frac{3}{4}\sqrt{\frac{4}{3}}=\sqrt{\frac{3}{4}} = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}
$$


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...