Tuesday 20 December 2016

elementary set theory - Is this proof correct for : Does $F(A)cap F(B)subseteq F(Acap B) $ for all functions $F$?



Is this proof correct? To prove $F(A)\cap F(B)\subseteq F(A\cap B) $ for all functions $F$.




Let any number $y\in F(A)\cap F(B)$. We want to show $y\in F(A\cap B).$




Therefore, $y\in F(A)$ and $y\in F(B)$, by definition of intersection.



By definition of inverse, $y=F(x)$ for some $x\in A$ and $x\in B$



And so, $y=F(x)$ for some $x\in A\cap B$



And therefore, $y\in F(A\cap B)$





I have a gut feeling deep down that something is wrong. Can anyone help me pinpoint the mistake? I am not sure why am I having so much problems with functions. Am I not thinking in the right direction?



Sources : 2nd Ed, P219 9.60 = 3rd Ed, P235 9.12, 9.29 - Mathematical Proofs, by Gary Chartrand,
P214 Theorem 12.4 - Book of Proof, by Richard Hammack,
P257-258 - How to Prove It, by D Velleman.


Answer



The third line is mistaken. You only know that there exists an $x$ in $A$ such that $F(x)=y$, and you know there is a $z\in B$ such that $F(z)=y$.



It is extremely easy to find a counterexample: just draw two sets $A$, $B$ that are disjoint, and map an $a\in A$ and a $b\in B$ to a single point. Then you have that $y\in F(A)\cap F(B)$, but $F(A\cap B)=\emptyset$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...