Wednesday 14 December 2016

calculus - What exactly is a differential?

I've seen the formula for differentials alot, namely



$$dy=f'(x)dx$$




but what I think when I see this is that someone is manipulating the "formula"



$$f'(x)=\frac{dy}{dx}$$



When I think of "differential equation", I think of



$$f\left(x,y,\frac{dy}{dx},\frac{d^2y}{dx^2},\cdots,\frac{d^ny}{dx^n}\right)=0$$



not




$$f(x,y,dy,dx,\cdots)=0$$



I've heard that $\Delta y$ and $\Delta x$ can be approximated by $dy$ and $dx$ (or maybe its the other way around?), but that doesn't make much sense to me. If you replace $dy$ and $dx$ by $\Delta y$ and $\Delta x$, you sort of have Euler's method, but this still doesn't clear much up for me. So,



What exactly is a differential, and why is it useful?

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...