Tuesday 13 December 2016

Modular Linear Congruences Puzzle

I'm learning about solving systems of modular linear congruences in my discrete mathematics class. Recently, my teacher posed a puzzle that I can't seem to solve:




These eight small-number triples are not random:



[[1 1 3] [1 1 4] [1 4 3] [1 4 4] [2 1 3] [2 1 4] [2 4 3] [2 4 4]]



They have something to do with the product of the first three odd
primes and the fourth power of two.




Find the connection.




From what I can tell, the triples are the cartesian products of [1 2], [1 4], and [3 4]. These add up to the first three odd primes like the teacher wanted. I still can't find a link between the triples and the fourth power of two though. My teacher said it has something to do with modular linear congruences. What am I missing?



This is an example of modular linear congruences:



$x \equiv_7 0$



$x \equiv_{11} 8$




$x \equiv_{13} 12$



Solution: $x \equiv_{1001} 987$

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...