Tuesday 18 July 2017

probability - How do I show that $ E(g(X))= int_{-infty}^infty g(x)f(x),dx $?

Given that $X$ is a continuous random variable with pdf $f$, and $g(x)$ is a nonnegative function.



How do I show that
$$
E(g(X))= \int_{-\infty}^\infty g(x)f(x)\,dx
$$
using the fact that $E(X) = \int_0^\infty P(X>x)\, dx$.




I attempted to prove this by plugging in g(X) into the second equation instead of just X. And then I took the inverse of g to come up with just a cdf of X, then I rewrote the cdf to its equivalent integral form, giving me an expression with double integral. I have no idea how to move on from here.



Can anyone help me?

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...